Media playback is not supported on your device.
Owen Carey's family is asking for better food labeling in restaurants.
The family of a dairy allergy teenager who died after unconsciously eating buttermilk in a hamburger restaurant called for a change in the law.
Owen Carey ordered grilled chicken at the Byron burger at O2 Arena in London while celebrating her 18th birthday.
He told staff about his allergy, but was not told that the meal included buttermilk.
After a coroner decided he was not informed about allergens that led to his death, Carey's family said the current policy left plenty of room for error.
Speaking outside Southwark Court, Carey's sister Emma Kocher said her brother's death should not have happened.
Owen Carey was celebrating her 18th birthday when she died
She said the family wanted something good to come out of their loss and asked the government to change the law.
"It's simply not good enough to have a policy that is based on verbal communication between client and server, which usually occurs in a busy, noisy restaurant where employee turnover is high and many of its customers are very young," she said.
"This leaves a lot of room for error on a matter that we know very well can cost lives. We hope we can bring changes to Owen's Law to improve allergen labeling in restaurants."
Carey's mother Moira paid tribute to her son, who she said played three instruments, filled the house with noise and was "always smiling and wanted to make the most of life."
She said that "hundreds of thousands" of people with allergies were afraid of eating out in restaurants, because this was "the key place where they were at risk."
His father, Paul, simply described his son as "a great guy, a handsome boy, and a great mate."
& # 39; Severe Anaphylactic Reaction & # 39;
The parents of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, who died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette containing sesame seeds, considered the decision a "historic judgment".
Briony Ballard, an assistant coroner, decided earlier: "The deceased made the care team aware of his allergies.
"The menu was reassuring because it made no reference to any potential marinade or allergenic ingredient in the selected foods.
"The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the request.
"The food served and consumed by the deceased contained dairy products, which caused the deceased a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died."
The survey heard that Carey ate half of the chicken before experiencing symptoms.
Carey died on April 22, 2017, when she turned 18 with family and friends.
He ate half of the chicken before his lips tingled and had stomach problems, the audience said.
The teenager collapsed 55 minutes later, outside the London Eye.
Members of the public, including an RAF doctor, tried to revive him, but when the paramedics arrived, he was "silent, breathless, and pulseless," was heard.
Carey of Crowborough, Sussex, later died at St Thomas Hospital in central London.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse died after an allergic reaction to a Pret A Manger baguette in 2016
After the hearing, Byron CEO Simon Wilkinson said, "We take allergies extremely seriously and have robust procedures, and while these procedures were in line with all rules and guidelines, we trained our staff to respond correctly."
He said the company listened to what the coroner had said about talking to customers and added, "Of course the current rules and requirements are not enough and the industry needs to do more – more to help clients with allergies and more to raise awareness about the risks of allergies. "
Ballard should make recommendations later on how to prevent future deaths.
- Why the world is becoming more allergic
- Food stores "must list all ingredients"
After the hearing, Thomas Jervis, lawyer for Leigh Day's Carey family, said no family should endure the same heartbreak.
He said: "Food regulations related to allergy information are clearly not appropriate for this purpose.
"It cannot be certain that there is room for human error on an issue that could be fatal."
The law firm said Carey's request was described on the menu as "Classic Chicken – Grilled Chicken Breast, Grated Iceberg, Tomato, Red Onion, Pickles, Byron Sauce".
Nadim and Tanya Ednan-Laperouse said there were striking parallels between their daughter's death and Carey's death.
They said Carey's death highlighted the inadequacy of food information, adding: "This verdict is a historic judgment for millions of people with allergies in this country and another clear statement to the food industry that things cannot continue as they are." .
What is the law on food allergy labels?
has 14 allergens that food providers should alert people toincluding nuts, milk and eggs.
Prepackaged foods must have a list of ingredients and, according to the "Natasha Law", which should come into force on October 1, 2020, allergens should be emphasized to some extent whenever they appear.
For non-prepackaged foods, such as those sold in a restaurant, information should be provided on each item containing any of 14 allergens.
FSA provides this signal to restaurants
According to the Food Standards Agency, this may be in a menu, chalkboard or information pack or through a written notice such as the sign above explaining how customers can get more information, for example by requesting details from A staff member.
But Carey's family said this "leaves a lot of room for error."
They want it to be written next to each menu item that contains an allergen.