SportsPulse: Week 5 had some shocking results. Trysta Krick reacts to all the greatest games and moments of a wild weekend in the NFL.
The 32 things we learned in week 5 of the 2019 NFL season:
1. After the Amazing loss of bosses at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday night, home teams are 33-43-1 this season.
2nd … just this once.
3. With Dallas suddenly in a skid of two games (against good teams) After a 3-0 start (against terrible teams), Cowboys QB Dak Prescott's contract negotiations with owner Jerry Jones may be backtracking. The boss didn't look very happy on Sunday as Prescott has served three interceptions for the Packers (he has four choices in the last two games). The Dallas offense also seemed lifeless for much of the day – the same as in New Orleans in week 4 – Before accumulating many yards and points that proved to be cosmetic in a setback of 34-24. The pressure on Dak and company is now mounting, with the Eagles having drawn a first draw in the east of NFC.
Jerry Jones channeling everything #Cowboys fans.
"Come on Dak!" pic.twitter.com/hwNEPu4OPd
– Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) October 6, 2019
Receive more NFL news: The Wednesday and Monday newsletter brings our experts, analytics to your inbox. Sign here
3rd However, these 226 high-level career yards will not affect WR Amari Cooper's results the next time he is on Jones's negotiating table.
3b At least Dallas has a goodbye to hit next week. Er, a game against the Jets. Whatever.
4. Including his Super Bowl XLV win against Pittsburgh, Rodgers now has 4-0 as a fullback at JerryWorld.
Powered by Aaron Jones' top four career TDs and 182 yards from the fight, Rodgers and the Packers (4-1) are again Kings in (NFC) North.
4b Meanwhile, the northern queen was at the Bears-Raiders game on Sunday. Wuddup, Sansa?
– NFL (@NFL) October 6, 2019
5. London Tottenham Hotspur Stadium staged his first game of the regular NFL season as the Raiders "hosted" the Bears. The site, home of the Premier League Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, opened in April after being built at a cost of approximately £ 1 billion (this cool icon means £, Yankees). Will the 187th NFL 100th Game Venue host the league's first Super Bowl on foreign soil one day? It looks like a nice enough yard for that occasion … assuming the league games aren't subject to fees either …
5a The contest in London was the Raiders' first home game since September 15 and the last until they play again in Oakland on November 3.
5b The last nine teams to win International Series games have reached the playoffs, a sequence that began with the 2016 Raiders. Will the 2019 Raiders extend this?
6. Also in England, Jon Gruden apparently gave Khalil Mack's last laugh when the Raiders angered Chicago 24-21.
6a The Bears and Mack were left without a bag against their good friend Derek Carr, while Oakland attacked Chicago reserve QB Chase Daniel four times.
6b. But Gruden's brother, Redskins manager Jay, probably didn't find much humor on a day when Washington without victory was defeated by the Pats 33-7, and he was fired Monday morning.
6c. Memo to my colleague Nancy Armor: Apparently, Da Bears are no better without starting QB Mitch Trubisky. Shrug.
7. Elsewhere in New England, Patriots fans are celebrating first team start 5-0 since 2015.
7a For your information, the 2015 campaign was the last time the Pats didn't make it to the Super Bowl.
7b While playing for 348 yards on Sunday, Patriots QB Tom Brady overtook Brett Favre for third place on the all-time NFL list. At 18, Brady (71,923 yards) will bypass Peyton Manning for second place behind Drew Brees.
7c. For the fifth week in a row, a McCourty received a pass. But Sunday, it was the Patriots CB Jason McCourty. Twin brother Devin's INT series has been eliminated in four games.
8. Atlanta natives are also getting restless with Dan Quinn's head after his "fairly basic" defense (according to Texans WR Keke Coutee) was fileted by Houston for 592 yards.
8a Falcons QB Matt Ryan played seven INTs … corresponding to the 2018 and 2016 total when he was the league MVP.
9. If you had Texans teammates, Deshaun Watson (426 yards passing, 5 TDs, 47 racing yards) and Will Fuller V (14 catches, 217 yards, 3 TDs – all career highs) on your fantasy team , you will be singing on Monday morning.
9th Houston defeated the Atlanta 53-32 one week after scoring 10 points, the lowest number in any of 27 Watson regular season matches.
9b. And arguably most impressive, Texans have prevented Watson from being fired for the second time in his career and for the first time in the last 15 games.
10a The same goes for Minnesota's Stefon Diggs, who acts like a guy who has more than one 1,000-yard campaign in five NFL seasons that doesn't include the Pro Bowl.
10b. Weekly Reminder: RB Dalvin Cook, with a career record of 218 yards on Sunday, remains the most important player in the Vikings.
11. Welp, the new Baltimore FS Earl Thomas, and Pittsburgh QB sophomore Mason Rudolph are now officially registered in the Ravens-Steelers rivalry, arguably the league's most physical and controversial in the last two decades.
11a We hope Rudolph is well after falling in a pile after Thomas's highly illegal launch to hit the helmet. What Ryan Shazier must be thinking …
– FOX Sports: NFL (@NFLonFOX) October 6, 2019
12. Meanwhile, perhaps new concerns about Ravens's second student, QB Lamar Jackson, who apparently calmed questions about the Baltimore offense a few weeks ago? But Jackson's yard total has decreased every week – just 161 at Heinz Field on Sunday – and he has five turnovers in the last two games. The Ravens were lucky enough to survive the third-string Steelers and QB Devlin Hodges in overtime.
13. If Rudolph can't come next week, Pittsburgh will have to sign another quarterback or promote Paxton Lynch or Taryn Christion from his squad.
14. The defense of the Jaguars is not very good without CB Jalen Ramsey, as unfortunate as he may be.
15. Another week, another round of evidence that Gardner Minshew II (374 yards, 2 TD) from Jacksonville and Carolina Kyle Allen (4-0 career record as a starter) could keep QB1s Nick Foles and Cam Newton, respectively in pine more than initially expected.
16. Is Saints QB Teddy Bridgewater the league MVP after five weeks? OK, probably not, but he tied a better four-man TD pass on Sunday's Buccaneers win, and his 131.2 passer rating is the second best of his career. Taking over in the absence of Brees, Bridgewater has three straight wins over rising opponents, almost certainly saving the New Orleans season.
17. Is Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey really the league MVP? He started Sunday with the league's best championship, 629 yards from the fight … then stacked 237 more (plus 3 TDs) in the Jags in Carolina's 34-27 win.
– NFL (@NFL) October 6, 2019
18 Or Russell Wilson is the MVP? He has not yet made a choice in 2019, and his completion rate (73.1%), total TD passes (12) and passer rating (126.3) followed the league on Sunday.
18a And can you imagine Seattle without Wilson? Seahawks are 4-1 … but lucky they aren't 1-4.
18b. Whatever the case, give Wilson and Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett credit for the season's most beautiful TD, a 13-yard connection that had only a 6.3% chance of completion, according to next-generation statistics – the most unlikely league since 2017.
Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett's 13-yard TD at the back of the end zone is the MOST IMPROBABLE conclusion of the last two seasons (6.3%).@ TDLockett12 was 0.2 yards from the sideline and 1.1 yards from the back of the final zone when the pass arrived.#TNFonPrime | @Seahawkspic.twitter.com/vgPRim3Q3h
– Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) October 4, 2019
Best TD of the year ?!
– USA TODAY NFL (@usatodaynfl) October 4, 2019
18c. The best TD pitch / capture combination from Ben Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes in the Super Bowl XLIII?
– NFL (@NFL) September 21, 2019
18d. Finally, we know that Seahawks love to hit the ball on the floor. But why not just Wilson throw Lockett all the pieces? RW3's QB rating when aiming at Lockett is a perfect 158.3 since last season.
19. This MVP debate would not be so topical if the man who won last year, Kansas City QB Patrick Mahomes, was not suddenly struggling in the box score (1 TD passed in the last two games) and on the pitch with what it looks like. be an increasingly problematic ankle issue.
19a And the Chiefs' record-breaking series of scoring at least 25 points ended in 25 games after the 19-13 defeat by Colts.
20. With 143 yards of scrimmage and two TDs on Sunday, Raiders RB Josh Jacobs made an initial offensive debutant claim of the year.
21. Ram WR Cooper Kupp has exceeded 100 receiving yards in his last four games. Early claim placed to the player of the year honors return.
22. Rams OLB Clay Matthews still can't take a break in the NFL …